Discover Sibuyan Island

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The Player in Me

Champion volleyball players do not become as good as they are in an instant. It takes years of training hard to become good enough to compete at the professional level. Champions are winners because they have mastered the fundamentals,not because they dream up awesome plays. For this reason all coaches, players, officials, and students of the game need to give that 110% that's needed to achieve the ultimate goal of success.

I played volleyball since Grade 6. My Coach then was Mr. Ado Tansiongco, a known sportsman and teacher. He became my mentor, my father, and a friend. I learned basic volleyball from him. He teaches me to develop discipline, to stay healthy, and to study hard while playing. He was a good coach. A very respectable person.

When I was in High School, I continued my journey as a volleyball player. Mr. Tingtong Rollon, was my coach at that time, now a retired teacher and Barangay Captain. He is one of the most dedicated and deserving person for the job. I learned a lot from him. I trained for 2 months a year, 3 times a week before the District Meet, a competition between schools (Magdiwang, Cajidiocan and San Fernando). My record as a member of Magdiwang Volleyball team was 3-0 for three consecutive years. I did not join the team during my freshman in high school.

When I was chosen as one of the players to represent the Island of Sibuyan for the Provincial Competition, known as Provincial Meet. Take note, majority of the players came from Magdiwang. I remembered some of them, John Paul Morgado, Juan Rotoni, Nino Noel Tansiongco, Joel Loyola and Hadji Fabellon. Our team took 2 Championships, from 1997 and 1998.

In college, I still played volleyball, but not as a varsity player. I prefered to focus on my studies. But, I still managed to play my favorite sport. An inter-department competition held every year in our school. Our department, took 2 Championships.

Those days are gone, but the friends, the companions and the memories I earned cannot be forgotten. Thank You Guys!

0 comments: